Tankers in Georgia Strait - what's at risk?
National Energy Board opens application process! Apply now!
On January 15th the NEB opened up the application process for participation in the review of Kinder Morgan's Transmountain pipeline expansion proposa. Read more about how you can apply.
Here are a few confirmed workshops and community meetings you can attend to get help:
Feb 3 - 7pm, Maple Ridge (hosted by Pipe Up Network and ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 4 - 7pm, Chilliwack (hosted by Pipe Up Network and ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 5 - 7pm, Abbotsford (hosted by Pipe Up Network and ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 5 - 7pm, North Vancouver (hosted by ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 5 - 12pm, webinar (hosted by West Coast Environmental Law, Forest Ethics and Sierra Club BC)
Feb 6 - 2pm - 8pm, Langley (hosted by Pipe Up Network and ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 8 - (note date change) 7pm, Pender Island, (hosted by Raincost, Gulf Island Alliance and GSA)
Feb 10 - 7pm, Downtown Vancouver (hosted by ForestEthics Advocacy)
Feb 11 - 6pm, Victoria (hosted by the Wilderness Committee)
Currently, the oil and gas company Kinder Morgan plans to increase the capacity of the Trans Mountain pipeline from its current 300,000 barrels per day to 890,000 barrels per day. This expansion would be for the sole purpose of transporting diluted bitumen from the tar sands for export, primarily to Asia. This increase translates into over 400 tankers per year carrying toxic tar sands oil through busy Burrard Inlet and across the Salish Sea.
With the increased volume of crude oil plying our waters comes an increased risk of a major oil spill, which would impact important marine and estuarine ecologies throughout Georgia Strait. A spill would also result in damage to our economy and quality of life, from ruined fisheries to impacts on tourism and recreation.
Spill response capability and funding in BC is woefully inadequate, and lags far behind other jurisdictions. The best spill response in the world only recovers 25% of the oil, which leaves an unacceptable 75% left in the environment - forever.
The Kinder Morgan proposal is also on the frontlines of the climate change challenge. The tar sands oil - the dirtiest fuel on earth - that would be carried by Kinder Morgan would be responsible for emissions of up to 175 million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year - four times more than BC's entire annual C02 emissions.
Approving the Kinder Morgan proposal would lock BC into a climate polluting path, away from the climate leadership the province has been taking steps towards, and away from investment in alternative sources of energy
- How to have your say in the National Energy Board review process - Kinder Morgan pipeline - January 16, 2014
- A citizen's guide to tankers, oil spills and the risks to our region
- Map of tanker route (thanks to Sierra Club BC)
- Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain expansion project website
- GSA's article (Crude Oil Tankers in Georgia Strait: a concerned citizens perspective), October 2011 issue of the industry magazineBC Shipping News
- Ask Christy Clark to take back BC's right to say no to Kinder Morgan
- Sign the petition to stop further increases in crude oil tanker traffic in our region!
- Financial Liability for Kinder Morgan (Jan 2013)
- Fraser River Tanker Traffic Study - Full Report (June, 2012)
- Fraser River Tanker Traffic Study - Summary (June, 2012)
- Study of Tug Escorts in Puget Sound - 2004 (Prepared for State of Washington Dept of Ecology)
- Animated oil spill scenarios for our region (Thanks to the David Suzuki Foundation.)
- How treacherous is Vancouver's Burrard Inlet Port? (video) (OpenFileVAN, June 6, 2012)
- Video: Overview of risks of increased tanker traffic on south coast (Paul Manley, November 2010)
- Save the Fraser Declaration (updated April 2012)
- Cohen Inquiry points to flawed response to oil spills (Globe and Mail, August 19, 2011)
- GSA's Submission to the National Energy Board regarding the Kinder Morgan Firm Service Application (June 16, 2011)
- Cuts leave B.C. exposed to eco-disaster (Times Colonist, October 2, 2010)
- The law and oil spills (Vancouver Sun, August 3, 2010)
- Alarm Sounded: Tanker Tug Crews Too Thin in Vancouver - Mitchell Anderson (The Tyee, July 9, 2010)
- Presentation to Vancouver city council - Peter Baker, MSc (July 5, 2010)
- Second Narrows Vessel Transit - Pilotage Risk Management Methodology - June 2008
Thanks to some of our major supporters: