Exploring the Shoreline
Canada has the longest coastline of any country in the world: 202,808 kilometers! It's our responsibility to look after the parts of our coast that we use and love.
You can make a big difference, by pledging to follow these guidelines:
As a Savvy Shoreline User I will…
- Follow marked paths to the beach, rather than walking across sensitive shoreline areas.
- Watch my steps and tread lightly on the shore.
- Leave everything natural, the way I found it, including rocks, sand, shells and sticks.
- Handle sea-life gently with wet hands and leave it where I found it.
- Control my pet and dispose of its waste properly.
- Respect private property and other recreational users.
- Report environmental problems to the proper authorities.
- Educate and be a role model for other beach walkers.
- Get involved in activities and issues that protect and restore marine life.
- Leave the area as clean or cleaner than I found it.
- Reconsider having a beach fire. If I do, I’ll keep it small and below the high tide level.
- Help organize or join a beach clean-up day
Want more information?
If you are looking for something and can't find it on our site, contact us and we'll do what we can to help you.