Waterfront Initiative Lead
Georgia Strait Alliance (GSA) is seeking applications from suitable candidates to fill the role of Waterfront Initiative Lead. This position is offered on a term employment basis with an initial commitment of 30 hours per week (on average) for 12 months, with the possibility of extension and an increase to 37.5 hours per week, based on funding and performance. Contract to begin as soon as possible. Location: Vancouver.
The position reports to the Executive Director and will lead our Waterfront Initiative Project. The successful candidate will:
1. Coordinate the ongoing development of the Waterfront Initiative Network, including working groups and Advisory Committee
a) Promote project and liaise with government officials, First Nations, industry, businesses and community groups, as necessary
b) Identify and invite new members with guidance from the Advisory Committee and as appropriate
c) Plan and organize Waterfront Forums throughout the year to engage stakeholders and citizens
d) Coordinate partner and stakeholder network, working groups, including ongoing communications
e) Moderate discussions within network and help facilitate goal setting and work planning, including identification of pilot projects
f) Work with external contractors to research, write and publish current state of the waterfront report and establish a baseline and set of indicators to measure progress.
g) Assist in the development of a long-term strategic plan for the project
2. Implement and grow public awareness and engagement campaign around Waterfront Initiative in the Lower Mainland
a) Coordinate Water's Edge Day (annual fall public event), including coordination of partners, day of event activities and sponsorship, contribute to development and implementation of media relations strategy for the event
b) Develop and implement civic engagement strategy to connect the public with their waterfront and involve residents in the work of the Waterfront Initiative Network
c) Develop ongoing public engagement and communications strategies and tactics
d) Produce communications materials related to the Waterfront Initiative, including regular posts on the GSA blog, social media content
e) Work with volunteers and students to carry out Waterfront Initiative outreach at community events in Vancouver
3. Participate in GSA organizational activities, as required, including strategic planning, funder relations and project specific budgeting and fundraising and reporting.
- University or college degree in social sciences, arts or equivalent
- Extensive experience in cross-sectorial processes(5 years +)
- Strong facilitation and coordination skills (5 years +)
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Experience in event planning, with a strong attention to detail and working on multiple projects at once.
- Comfort with working in business, government and NGO environments
- Experience in communicating with government agencies, industry, elected officials and the media
- Experience in developing public awareness campaigns
- Knowledge of sustainability and urban ecology issues
- Excellent computer literacy and strong research skills
- Comfort with online tools, including social media and website management
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills, including public speaking
- Ability to work in constantly changing environment
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, with a solution based approach to issues
- Excellent time management skills and accountability
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Ability to travel for meetings within the region
- Commitment to Georgia Strait Alliance's mission, values and culture
Other useful assets would be experience in grassroots organizing and strategic planning, urban planning and knowledge of the marine and/or freshwater environments.
We are accepting applications until Feb 4th at 5 pm. Please email letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be contacted. Note this is a Vancouver-based position.
Want more information?
If you are looking for something and can't find it on our site, contact us and we'll do what we can to help you.